Agitate

Agitate (Verb)- To stir up public discussion of

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agitate

“In response to recent and ongoing protests around the country- and most notably in Charlottesville,VA- agitating on one side for both the removal of controversial monuments and on the other for their preservation, Mayor Bill de Blasio called for an examination of New York City’s monuments.” (Project#2: Monument Surveying)

This word came to my attention while I was reviewing the requirements for Project #2. I used the sentence it was used in to help define the word and that helped out a little. I still wanted to find a way to define it in my own words.

After researching the word, the understanding became more clear but there were at least four definitions that I needed to decipher through to see which one best fit the sentence I had read. now my understanding of the the word to that word to its context would be “to create a buzz about a particular topic”. In the sentence, it was saying that there was great discussion about the removal and remaining of certain monuments around the world that was creating buzz in NYC also.