Good artists copy, great artists steal 9/25

Lessig’s words “the tools of creativity have been democratized” struck a chord. It used to be that ideas were expressed solely from one person to another. Today, the overwhelming amount of UGC is amazing. However, he reminded us that the draconian copyright laws have made us into passive criminals. He captured a sentiment I never truly gave a thought. Youtube contains content that dangerously flirts with copyright infringement. Content made out of passion, and hopefully not motivated by financial gains. Fortunately, fair use guide lines do permit us some leg room. Despite this, many people take more than the inch they’re given. Lessig addressed this extremism and argued against it. Slightly behind him was an image of Andy Warhol, thought provoking. However, all he did was just copy and paste. Nonetheless, he effectively expressed revolutionary ideas.

2 thoughts on “Good artists copy, great artists steal 9/25

1. Kimesha

I agree with the fact that people continually test the copyright limits on sites like youtube but I disagree with you saying that fair use guidelines gives them the leg room to do so. A mistake that people often make is in believing that fair use is a right they are awarded when in actuallity it is a defense against copyright infringement. The problem with it is that there are in fact no guidelines and it is so open ended that most people have difficulty being able to understand it in it’s entirety.

2. ohlynn wright

I feel the same way I think the copy right laws have made made us criminals in one shape or another we have neglected the fact because it is free and accessible from the touch of a finger we have easily stumbled down the path of copy writing many of times and unknowingly too