Overall Project Description:
Create an Editorial Illustration for an article in a magazine printed or online.
You will be choosing the article.
Work will be judged on the clarity and cleverness of the overall concept, thoughtful utilization of composition, the use of value, and of course the skillfulness of overall technique.
The final illustration may be traditional or digital.
Note the faster turnaround time for this assignment! Illustrations meant for publication in Magazines and Newspapers, digital or traditional, have very quick deadlines.
So does this project. Work efficiently.
50 % project grade Submit a PDF PROCESS BOOK guiding us through the project from inception to conclusion.
- Carefully SCAN/photograph all your process work. This should include a link to your article, or scan of article in print, Brainstorming notes or word web, Thumbnails, Concept Sketches, Value Roughs, Color Roughs, Related Sketchbook Work, and Final Art.
- Carefully Label all of your work so that your thought process is CLEAR.
Be sure all of it is presented well: facing the right way, no shadows in the picture, good contrast, etc.
50 % project grade Submit a publication ready 300 DPI JPEG of Final ART
- The final color illustration must be created using a limited palate.
- It can be made using a combination of traditional and digital drawing,
inking and coloring skills.
- Final art should be made to fit the real magazine’s specs if there is a print version, 8″x10″ approximately. Discuss size with professor.
- Students will be required to present the illustration alone, as well as a digital mock-up of the illustration with the Magazine Masthead or logo if it makes sense.
- Work in Progress should be posted for feedback to the OPEN LAB, (categorize as work in progress)
- Part 1 : Brainstorm and Research: Generate Ideas, find new ones through research. Come up with at least 3 concepts to discuss with your client.
- Part 2, Thumbnails & Concept Sketches
- Part 3, Editorial Illustration Final Art: Using any combination of Pencil, Ink and Digital techniques create your final limited palate, color editorial illustration.
Leave a Reply