Journal #12 – Brian Rubio

Nothing exciting to report this week at my internship. It has been quite slow as we wait on new apparel to be printed and sent to us. At this point I’ve become good friends with the printer and he sends me “sneak peak” pictures of the shirts via text. With this, we also determine if the shirts look better with a single or double coating of ink. A single coat makes the t-shirt have a more vintage/worn-out look which if it fits the feel/style of the shirt we go with that option. Other then this, I’ve taken the liberty of going through old photos that are on the site that I feel can look better and completely re-editing or even shoot them again. The boss Zach loved this idea and really appreciates the extra effort without even asking for it. I feel that the aesthetic of the stores’ website is very important and needs to show the potential customer exactly what they’re getting. Especially if the customer is from another state and can’t come in to see the gear in person. I’ve also pitched some ideas to Zach about making some changes to the site. The site should have a more modern simplistic look to it and be more of a “lifestyle brand” rather then just an inventory/warehouse look. I explained that the fight community trains any second they get the chance to and that this is their lifestyle. To gain the trust and loyalty of its customers the store and site should express this same concept. We want to give the customer a sense of “we know exactly what we’re talking about” and that this is the only place in the world they can get this experience. Zach was impressed by my bold pitch, as he is stubborn about making drastic changes to the store. He did listen to what I had to say and agreed that it made sense. I hope he actually does consider it; even though it might take a lot of work, I did tell him I can help in any way possible.