Welcome Event – Week 6

I am starting to see the amount of money and time that Disney spends on their cast member’s each time a new group arrives. I’m not sure what other department does for their new cast members but for the Future East Attractions, our managers put together a welcome party for networking purposes. It’s kind of odd since this welcome event occurs a month and a half after we had started. All these events are set as part of our work schedule where we get paid during the time of the event. Before I had attend to the event, I thought it was some sort of training but it was a few relaxing hours for us to get to know our peers and managers. During this event, they took the opportunity to update us in the combinations of the four keys and basics. The managers gave us information in regards to the professional internship and gave us tips to the first few steps we need to take. We also got to play a game where we get to learn more about the different managers in our department, such as their hobbies, favorite Disney character and etc…

An hour into the event, we were allowed to go explore the park as a group so we get the chance to experience the park as a guest. Each person received two fast pass, one for Test Track and another for a choice of Mission Space or Maelstrom. Of the two choices, my group picked Maelstrom to see what it was like since we didn’t know such a ride existed in Epcot. It turns out that Maelstrom was located in Norway and it was a mild boat ride. I found this event every helpful to me since I got a chance to learn more about my park. I’m very grateful to my managers for spending the time to putting such an event together. I can see that they put a lot of work into different ideas that could possibly make new recruit adjust to the new work environment they are in.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Welcome Event – Week 6

1. Networking events are brilliant, especially when you are getting paid. Now that you are much further into your program do you feel that this event helped you develop in your role?

I believe that the time they gave you to explore the parks is also brilliant. You learned about the parks, where attractions and food locations are and had time to build relationships with your coworkers. I hope that you will be able to incorporate this type of event into your own workplace one day. I know I will try to add it to my HMGT 1101 course.

• Mei Lin says:

This event helped me develop in my role for sure. As an attraction hostess, I am required to be a greeter during certain rotations and many guests would ask me questions such as where certain attractions are located. With the chance to explore the park I work in, I am able to visibly map Epcot in my head and better direct my guests to the locations they request for.

Mei Lin
      Epcot – Future World East Attractions
      Spaceship Earth