Journal 2

My second week has been a better one. I have finally been training in the many different locations in Animal Kingdom outdoor foods. Everybody here is pretty laid back and seem to really enjoy their jobs. The leaders are for the most part there to help with whatever you need. I am really enjoying the constant interactions with the many children I meet everyday. I am excited to hear that they are excited about the animals and love talking to them about what is their favorite ones. They truly make my job that much more enjoyable. I have had the opportunity to visit the parks on my days off and honestly I must admit looking at the parks as a cast member is very different than that as a guest. I will say I am disappointed a little by some of the demeanor of some of the other cast members. I guess I never noticed when I was guest but I definitely notice now. They are not always friendly and helpful and a lot of times they just push you off to someone else. Its a little disheartening. I understand you can’t always go that extra mile but creating magical moments is what the whole experience is about and I guess some of them has just missed the mark. But I still try to create magic everyday.

I have always had the opportunity to start my classes and I must say I am pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoy them. My Interactive learning class gives us the opportunity to do class days in the parks and that’s very exciting. My organizational leadership is taught by a very knowledgeable and fun man. He makes understanding the work so easy and is willing to sit down and talk to everyone of us on a business level. Can’t wait to see the classes as the weeks go on.

Overall I think it was a pretty decent week and I look forward to see what the following weeks bring me.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Journal 2

1. Hi Laura, I totally agree with you. The demeanor of some of the cast members are not always up to expectations as they should be. My roommates and I were very unhappy when we went to Mexico in Epcot and almost everyone had a nasty attitude, however we spoke with a leader to make him aware of what was going on. We didn’t want to see it happen to another guest who came out to have a great experience at Disney World and instead get a bad experience.

2. I like that you are ustilizing the parks on your days off and that you are being observant of the actions and non-actions of others. Keep this critical eye open and especially make sure that you always consider your own actions as well. From the sound of it you will.

As you continue through your experience think about what you wrote about and then think about why Disney would hire so many CPs. Why do you think they go through all these recruitment and training initiatives just to see the thousands of CPs walk away in just five months?