Journal entry 1

My first journal post!

The world of Disney is new, exciting and a little nerve racking. From Living, Learning and earning everything is an adjustment. Reaching out of my comfort level and diving into something totally different. I work in at the Grand Floridian Resort and The Polynesian Resort as Recreation Hostess for the Seven Seas Lagoon Marina. Two of the most beautiful resorts I have ever seen. Both proprieties have their own theme that I must follow but it is so interesting and fun to follow each theme, and to be able to switch things up day to day.

My first day of training was nerve wrecking because the job as dock attendant is so different that I just didn’t know what to expect. I wanted badly to be able to get the job down right and to be independent and efficient. But I really had to slow down and realize I needed to learn before jumping the boat (no pun intended). The job is very interesting and so are the people. Although it wouldn’t be my first choice as a job I am learning a lot about the way recreation plays a role in hotels and resorts, and I am gaining a totally different experience than I would in Brooklyn. I am mostly located at the Polynesian, the language we must use with guest are standard Hawaiian language. Such as ” Aloha” instead of ” Hi” and “Mahalo” when saying “thank you”.  Ii really enjoy the atmosphere of the Polynesian

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Journal entry 1

1. I like that you are making the best of a position you did not feel you would find beneficial. Recreation is a valuable part of a resort and you will be able to transfer many skills to other positions in the industry.

It has been a while since you wrote this post. What you “jumped in” yet?