Journal #1

Hello fellow Cast Members

This is my first post since I arrived on June 17; a lot has happened since then. I went from checking into Vista Way, Meeting my roommates and starting my Job in the Wilderness Lodge as a cook in the Whispering Canyon. To begin my journey here in Disney I met all my roommates at once. When I first walked into my apartment 2803 it was like walking into the United Nations. All my roommates are from different countries; we have Vegard from Norway, Paul from Uganda, Michelle from Paris France, Gyuon Ji from China and Rafael from Mexico. Almost 10 different languages, with 6 Different personalities and 6 different customs. This is a brand new experience for myself. living with people is different but living with five different people from coming from all four corners of the world. Living together has been an enlightened experience we have learned a lot from each other.

My Disney college program is different then all of your college programs because I am in the Culinary program. My job is a cook 2 in the Whispering Canyon a table service all you can eat buffet with a south western theme. In this restaurant we serve country style food from mash potatoes, ribs, roasted chicken, pulled pork, corn, sausage baked cod and beef sirloin. I work here with one head chef and three sous chefs. Chef Phillipe our head chef and Chef Will, Junior and Ken being our sous chefs. We have six different positions: pantry which handle our cold foods and desserts, fry which does our appetizers, saute who does all of our a la carte foods, platter one and platter two who plates all of our buffet items and last position is our chicken or butcher which is the person who cooks our big batches of mashed potatoes, chicken, ribs and beef sirloin.

In the three months here I have learned a lot of how to work in the kitchen. This job is teaching me how to set a foundation in any kitchen. In my time I have worked four out of the six stations and perfected three of the four stations. Now is time for a change I was just deployed to EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival. Excited to work Disney’s biggest festival and the biggest food and wine festival in the world. I am doing things I have never imagined. I am going to cook for people from all over the world. They will all witness a new up and coming chef.

on photo

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Journal #1

1. Nice to see you at the Food and Wine festival!