Read and React 2

In central Florida they are always expecting the unexpected and between the blackout of ’03 and the three hurricanes of ’04 Walt Disney World has been able to insure the proper training of cast members being able to provide proper guest comfort during these unforeseen disasters. According to Barbara Higgins “there is a 5 step process to ensure guest comfort. These steps range from monitoring the storms to shutting down activities and moving cast members to shelter. They also move the entertainers to the resorts in regards of the guests safety sake as for they are trying to provide them with as much resort experience as possible.”
As a cast member we were told about Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C evocation routes. At Magic Kingdom a Plan A evacuation is not a high threat and you just direct the guests out the front of the park. Plan B is a medium threat and you direct the guests to the nearest exit even if that is a cast member only exit. However a Plan C is a high threat and involves guests to take shelter. In this case we direct the guests into the Utildors.
The lessons I learned from this article are very valuable to my future management career they taught me a great way to ensure my guests the proper comfort in the case a disaster does happen. It also taught me that sometimes we do loose control of the situation. Most importantly it teaches us that we rely on our employees most to create the experience for our guests.

This entry was posted in Read and React 2, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Read and React 2

1. Sara says:

Greg it is nice to get an insight on how Magic Kingdom train the cast to react in emergency situations. This is different than my location in Hollywood Studios and I enjoyed reading your responce. I agree that I also learrned from Barbra to not loose control of the situation. This can put your guest in a odd situation. Being in control is necesary to make everyone feel safe and comfortable.

2. Idaliz De Leon says:

Hello Greg!

After reading your post, I am glad to hear that there is some level of uniformity to the emergency training being given throughout the various locations. I feel that when being responsible for and directing a large group of people it is important to have consistency to avoid any possible confusion. In a way this also increases the level of control and preparedness that takes place during unexpected circumstances. It also prevents a chaotic situation from occurring and will help in keeping track of everyone (employees and guests) once the situation has subsided.