Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | SPRING 2023

Reading Response 1 – AF

Revisiting the Avant-Garde

Armstrong, Helen. “Introduction: Revisiting the Avant-Garde” Graphic Design Theory: Readings From the Field, Princeton Architectural Press, 2009. Pages 9-15.

Questions / Prompts:

• what’s the difference between Avant-Garde and the current movements from today.
  • Define the term of today designers participate in the facility such as:
    *Authorship
    *University
    *Social Responsibility
  • What motivation do you think the next Avant-Garde will be in the future.

Response:

Avant-Garde, The definition of Avant Garde is: A genre of art that involves unusual experimental movement that drives the people/artist innovation and aesthetic that the norm would see as unacceptable. The difference between Avant-Garde and other movements from today is its popularity through the form of media. Modern art movements have an aesthetic style that gains people through media while avant-garde is less aesthetically pleasing and more hurting in the eye. Avant garde is random, unusual, and unconventional.

Authorship:  The profession of writing.
University: An institution of higher learning providing facilities for teaching and research and authorized to grant academic degrees.
Social Responsibility: Moral obligation on a company or an individual to take decisions or actions that is in favor and useful to society.

In all honesty, I do not know when or what the next Avant-Garde will be in the future, But if I have to guess it is more likely to be random or somewhat controversial.

Link annotation:

Centennial Celebration of the Establishment of Meji Jingu

Postmodernism (Dictionary)

Annotation

1. Jenna Spevack

Nice work, Angel! I’ve added some questions/prompts in Hypothesis that came up for me while reading your response – and where additional clarification/explanation would be helpful. Let me know your thoughts.