Armstrong, Helen. Graphic Design Theory: Readings From the Field, Princeton Architectural Press, 2009. Navigate to pages 9-15 to read “Introduction: Revisiting the Avant-Garde.”

In what ways do today’s designers participate in, facilitate, or reject:

1. Authorship
  2. Universality
  3. Social Responsibility

I believe that design should not be tied down to one specific idea of what is to be expressed or how to express ideas. Design is to express something, whatever that may be. Design is a form of expression through the visuals we use. Design needs to extend beyond the self, through a sort of universalism, but it is also a reflection of the self and one’s own values. Our work is a reflection of ourselves, and I believe it is important to embrace that on some level, not to relegate design to purely being “for the people”. Individuality is what allows designs to stick out. Even the most universal art is created based on a specific philosophy, thought process, or intent held by at least one individual.

I believe that design on some level is subject to some level of social responsibility as well. I do not believe that all design must be made with the intention of creating some mass change, but I do believe that design is one of the strongest ways we can start movements to create change, as well as that design should say something, have an impact on someonesomehow. Design should exist to either challenge values, emphasize core beliefs or interests, spread messages, whatever it may be. Design should exist with purpose.