Why Collaborate?

In the article “Why Collaborate” written by Ellen Lupton gives her perspective on collaborating with other people. She begins the article by stating “I’d love to collaborate, as long as I can work alone”, she feels this way because doesn’t want her sense of control and authorship to be altered and she would like to work on her own personal work schedule. In this sense I would have to agree with Lupton for the fact that it is difficult to work with other people that have different incentives when it comes to collaborating on a group project. She does appreciate when all group members play their role as it is shown in the line, ” It’s a joy to work on a team whose members have clearly defined roles and distinctive skill sets”. If the group members dont possess the mindset of get the work done as fast as possible instead of waiting last minute, I would want to work alone. As Lupton stated in the line, ” It can be frustrating, however, when a few people are doing the heavy lifting and the others are there to only to “insure consensus” or “weigh in” on concepts. I believe that if every group member plays the role they see fit or most interested in the productivity between everyone will be high. The goal of collaborating is to work together to reach a specific goal, and that can only happen if every group member doesn’t contribute. Lupton then describes her experiences collaborating in school. She states. ” In my own experiences as a student, I have enjoyed voluntary, informal collaborations with my friends, but I have resented being forced into arbitrary, mismatched teams, in the name of social correctness”. She was astounded by the fact that collaborating at school with people you actually know works. This whole article is basically the good and the bad of collaborating.