A tribute to the Greeks

socratesathens parkI grew up in Astoria, Queens NY. I have never moved in my life nor do I know what it feels like to pack things in a box, label boxes or anything pertaining to moving. I don’t know if this is a blessing or a curse. I went to Public School 17 Queens here in Astoria, Queens NY which was next to Athens Square Park on 30th Avenue and 27th Street. As a child I would play freeze tag, manhunt, green light red light, double-dutch and jump rope. I find it very interesting and stimulating that the park would bring tribute to Socrates the man famous for his questioning teaching method along with his strong-minded hunt for veracity, he thus sparked the anger of his fellow Athenians and was found guilty of impiety and of corrupting the city’s youth. His killing deeply changed ideas about what it meant and took to be courageous and heroic since he died only for his refusal to abandon his principles.

ARistotleAnother commemoration is the one below of Aristotle. Aristotle was a student of Plato. When he turned 18 years old, he moved to Athens to be further study at Plato’s Academy, where he stayed about 15 years. Aristotle was also a historian he would observe and record data and would analyze the marine life. His observations and interpretations were lifetimes ahead of his time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle