9/11 Tribute Park, Belle Harbor, NY

911 memorial park  911 memorial 3

The 9/11 Tribute Park is located on the corner of Beach 116th Street and Beach Channel Drive in Belle Harbor, Far Rockaway Peninsula, Queens.  The park and monuments is dedicated to the 70 residents of Rockaway Park, as well as the 343 firefighters who died on September 11, 2001.

The gazebo was designed by artist Patrick Clark.  The roof of the gazebo is covered with stained glass which has the names inscribed names of 70 Rockaway Park residents that were killed on that day. The 343 memorial sculpture was designed by Russian sculptor Isabella Slobodov, and completed by Patrick Clark.

It was a sunny, clear day in spring when I visited the 9/11 Tribute Park.  There is a great view of lower Manhattan.  Sitting on one of the benches in the park, it is a very relaxing and calm place to be.  I thought of the anguish residents of Belle Harbor must have experienced to stand on this very site and witness the horrific tragedy that unfolded on September 11, 2001.  As I reflect about this memorial, I come away feeling how closely net this community was before this tragedy and how much stronger it became afterwards.

2 thoughts on “9/11 Tribute Park, Belle Harbor, NY

1. Lynda Castellano

Hello: I regret to inform you that contributor Thomas J. Carroll of 7800 Shore Front Parkway, Rockaway Beach, New York , Apt. 6-H has passed away.
    He contributed to your drive to commemorate stones in memory of his loved ones and I was able to do it for him electronically via email. I believe he was notified but I’m not sure because of the impending pandemic. He sent the payment by regular postal service.
    Respectfully, Lynda Castellano

1. Mary Sue Sue Donsky

Hi Ms Castellano,
      I am sorry to hear of Mr. Carroll’s passing. I’m afraid you have reached an old website that was a project built by my college students . We have no ties to the Tribute Park.
      Please be well.
      Regards,
      Prof Mary Sue Donsky