“The Beatles Bench”

During my trip over the spring break to my home country, Kazakhstan, I had a chance to visit a famous sculpture “The Beatles Bench” which is located on Kok Tobe Park in Almaty city.  Kok Tobe in Kazakh language means “Green Hill” a mountain which is the highest point of Almaty.

The grand opening of “The Beatles Bench” sculptural composition was in May 15th of 2007. This is the first Sculpture in the world with the all members of the Fab Four in full length. The idea of building the bronze sculpture in Almaty was made by a group of enthusiasts, admirers – “beatlemaniacs”. Two of these admirers are Rinat Shayahmetov and Arsen Bayanov.  In October, of 2002 Rinat became a witness of John Lennon’s 60th birthday celebration in New York, where he visited John Lennon and the Beatles memorial places. In the same year of 2002, Arsen Bayanov , a journalist and a prose writer from  Almaty , former drummer of the famous Kazakh band “Dos Mukasan” ,wrote to the “Arguments and Facts “ newspaper:” And though we haven’t got such holy places where Lennon’s ,McCartney’s , Harrison’s and Ringo Starr’s foot would thread , however in Almaty are saturated with their spirit. Why don’t we give one of them  a name after this Fab Four?”

In 2003 Bayanov and Shayahmetov made an initiative group that consisted of people that had a big desire and believed that this monument should be definitely executed.  Non-commercial charitable Social Seimar Fund obtained an official permission to build the monument from Frank Roderick , the mayor of Liverpool, from Apple Corp , the Beatles brand right holders from cult musicians – Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr and from John Lennon’s widow Yoko Ono and Harrison’s relatives. Also this Social Seimar Fund organized a competition among sculptors and architects of Kazakhstan who will execute “The Beatles Bench” monument. The famous sculptor of Kazakhstan, Eduard Kazaryan won this contest and executed this beautiful monument.

I am very glad that I had this opportunity to see and take a picture of this amazing sculpture. Personally, I enjoy listening to “The Beatles” songs to this day. I wish I was born earlier and watched their live concert.