Filicia Hopkinson Journal Entry 7

October 13, 2015
I am reading an article written by Jonah Lehrer titled “Groupthink: The Brainstorming Myth.” By the way, the pain behind my left eye still hadn’t gone away, so with that fact I had an enjoyable time reading that particular article (sarcasm). When this article began somehow I knew I wasn’t going to like the outcome. However, I continued reading hoping for a surprise and the only surprise that came up was that brainstorming usually didn’t work. And I understood why people thought it was a good idea and I understood why it failed. All brainstorming ever did was have people throw ideas at the wall with the underlying thinking of if you threw enough ideas, no matter the quality, you were bound to find one good idea out of the bunch.
Remember when I begun writing this blog how there was one aspect of this article I wasn’t going to like? It had to do with group work, I honestly do not like working in groups. I won’t deny that it can lead to creative ideas and works, but it’s not for me. I personally find that I do fine working by myself, I don’t like having to rely on someone else to pull their weight within a group. I have had some pretty bad group experiences in the past and it might have and I would like not to relive them again. However, as the article went on, I knew that that sort of thinking would have to change.