Amy Journal #3

Today is the first day that I started working for this Chinese magazine company. Things weren’t as easy as I thought it would be, because there is a big difference between Chinese and American magazine style. The Chinese magazine styles preferred very colorful and bold elements together while the American magazine styles are towards simplicity with the main topic being bold. Trying to learn how to do the Chinese way of styling isn’t very difficult, but it requires time to study and learn the technique. I have always been learning the American way of designs and styles, so switching to the Chinese way in a short amount of time was too sudden. Therefore, I was given a handful of magazines by the supervisor so that I can get familiar with the design elements that the company wants. Just when I sat down and settled on to the computer, to my surprise even the software program such as Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc. were all Chinese. Now that is ten times harder than learning the Chinese styles because I am not very literate in Chinese although I speak the language. This left my mind completely blank. The supervisor knew of my dilemma so she offers to help me if I don’t know the location of the tools. That sort of save my day.