COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 12

The fashion trend I’m referring to was popular in the 1990s. They were mostly an underground trend in the early 1990s but acquired popularity in the mid-1990s. Baggy jeans and baggy bondage trousers were extremely fashionable during the nu-metal era, which lasted from the late 1990s through the early-to-mid 2000s. This fashion style emerged throughout the 1990s and was associated with hip-hop culture. Hip hop performers typically wear a baggy top with baggy jeans in music videos and public appearances. It was a popular fad in the 1990s, and it grew popular among a wide range of individuals. It was popular for a brief period of time. I definitely don’t believe this should become popular again because the style was so distinct from what people were wearing at the time. People nowadays choose to dress in a slimmer, more fitted style. When the trend was widespread, a large number of people wore these sorts of apparel, so now I want to see it not be mainstream at all and another style become mainstream. It’s rather intriguing how fashion styles can peak and then drop at the same time.

THE BAGGIER, THE BETTER: HOW ULTRA-WIDE DENIM TOOK OVER THE 90S - CULTED

1. Yiqiang Wang

Hello, I just investigated the relationship between hip-hop culture and Baggy jeans. I found some interesting content. The first reason is to wear baggy clothes because people in prison are forced to wear baggy clothes. These people still keep the habit of wearing baggy clothes when they get out of prison. The second reason is that hip-hop culture was not the mainstream culture at that time, and people who liked hip-hop culture wore clothes opposite to the mainstream culture in order to rebel against the mainstream culture. The third reason is to divert attention from the body to their music.

2. Simonlei

Andrew you make a great point. Fashion is one of the fastest moving industries, and with new trends coming out regularly its hard to keep track of when and who made these trendy. As someone who grew up in the early 2000s I must definitely remember the baggy clothes era. Glad thats over now.