COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 12

While I was researching fashion that may start to mainstream, I remembered seeing a lot of people start to wear crochet clothings such as tops and dresses on social media platforms. It started to show up more as a mainstream in 2021 but was created in the early 1800s in Europe by Mile Riego de la Branchardiere. Crochet clothing was also seen as [a possible] mainstream in the early 1970s but there isn’t much information to prove it. With many people in our society today willing to be as eco-friendly and environment friendly as possible, crochet clothing will possibly become a mainstream [again].

1. Simonlei

I agree with you completely Ebony. Crochet was definitely an underground fashion trend that I only remember being referred to as someones grandmother making your clothing. I do see that more people are wearing crochet clothing as during the height of the pandemic it became such a at home hobby for most.

2. Lin Chao Chao

I may not know about other countries, but crocheted sweaters have been very popular in my country since I was born in 1999. Because it is very warm and can weave a lot of beautiful patterns. So far my clothes are still intact, everyone in my country has a piece of woolen clothes. I hope these clothes stay on trend, I really need them for the cold winter.

3. Angela Iacono

I agree I think the environmental issues will make more people want to buy sustainable clothing. Crocheting is also very interesting because it can allow people to learn how to make their own clothes which saves them money and helps the environment!