COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Yiqiang Wang – Discussion 12

The trend I want to describe is Yoga. Yoga has a history of more than 100 years in the United States. With people’s attention to health and fitness, yoga has gradually become a popular fitness project. Although yoga is popular with many fitness people in the United States, yoga is only a minority sport at the beginning. Yoga originated in ancient India thousands of years ago. Its purpose is to achieve the effect of cultivating the body and mind through various movements, so yoga is very popular among religious people in India.

Yoga Culture in the United States is much later. In the early 19th century, Indian culture was introduced into the United States and welcomed by Americans. With the deepening of exchanges between Americans and Indians, yoga was also introduced into the United States in the early 20th century. Later, yoga became popular due to a large number of Indian immigrants coming to the United States.

Yoga has become a popular fitness program for a reason, because it has been scientifically proved that yoga is of great help to people. It can not only make people lose weight, exercise muscles and increase flexibility, but also solve some psychological problems. And yoga doesn’t need too expensive equipment, just a Yoga mat.

I think yoga has become popular because with the development of society, many people are sitting in offices and the stress of work combined with keeping similar movements for a long time has caused them a lot of physical and mental problems, it just so happens that yoga can help them.

In the beginning, the originator of yoga may just want to better the Cultivation of body and mind and never thought that Yoga would have so much influence. However, in addition to helping people solve physical and psychological problems, yoga has also created a lot of economic value, so that many people can make a living by teaching yoga. I think this is positive, because it also indirectly lets more people know about the Yoga culture.

1. Faye Wang

With no doubt, more and more people are practicing yoga after they start working from home, shows the flexibility of it. Yoga’s popularity also shows on the yoga mat reviews on amazon.

2. Sadman Hafiz

You reminded me of my high school when I took the yoga class for the first time as an elective. I remember the relaxing experiences that I had with yoga and totally understand why its popularity is rising.