COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 2b: what is Design ?

I think that Design happens when ideas, feelings, knowledge, experience or information is presented as an image, shape or object. I have learned in the COMD that the purpose of design is to communicate an idea, inform the public or make you feel something. However, the interpretation is not always the same for everybody. For example, a painting can be interpreted different by individuals and it can bring up interesting points of conversation among themselves. Therefore, design also bring people together. During these difficult times due to Covid-19 I seen a range of design posters informing the public on what to do and where to get information and I personally think that is very helpful. The world is run by design, I can imagine a world where there are no poster or Ad’s telling me what shampoo is better for me to help me make the right decision or when I am driving a sign telling me which way to go.

1. Yiqiang Wang

Hello Gloria, design can really convey some information to people. During the pandemic, especially in the first year or two, many people lost relatives or friends because of covid-19, their hearts were traumatized, and the design can heal their hearts and help them. In addition, I think during the pandemic, the demand for design has become greater, especially digital design. Because of the pandemic, people reduce travel and spend more time on social media, so the demand for digital design is greater.

2. Shayne Coley

I agree with every thing you said I believe that your interpretation of designs can be vastly different from your peers. There is no right or logical answer to design it is how can you relate to or inform your audience . The pandemic created a lot of problems for hard working people as a result many posters where used to convey the message of safety