Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

HW1_Composition – Mohammad Ali

I chose a photograph of the Brooklyn Bridge photographed by Michael Kenna, the 20th photo on the gallery link, titled “Brooklyn Bridge, Study 2, New York, New York, USA, 2006.” This particular photo of the Brooklyn Bridge caught my eye because of the presence of the moon in the top left and its reflection on the water. Also, the framing and timing of the shot were perfect, you can get a sense of where exactly the photo was taken and what it was trying to capture just by looking at it. The purpose of this image was to capture the Brooklyn Bridge in its natural element, the moon was just the cherry on top. The photograph conveys a grudge aesthetic due to the photographer’s unique editing style, it makes me feel ominous.

Michael Kenna uses Symmetry, Leading Lines, and Figure to Ground out of the formal elements from the Steve McCurry video. Symmetry is seen due to the Leading Lines that lead your eyes to the bridge as it appears to move further away due to the angle the photograph is taken. You are able to split the bridge right down the middle of the photograph. Figure to Ground is seen due to the photographers editing style and contrast between the city, moon, water, and bridge.

1. rmichals

Certainly symmetry is the strongest feature of this photo. And I guess you can say the form of the bridge creates leading lines that lead to Manhattan.

I find myself wondering how he took it because there is no public access to the spot under the bridge where he must have taken the photo from.