Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Final Project Statement

The theme that I have chosen for my project is a portrait of a neighborhood, most likely in a city. In my project, I would like to tell the story of a person whose life is constantly in motion, whether they are going somewhere or completing a task. Most of us do not even take the time to appreciate what is around us for a few seconds. I feel like that sucks because there’s so much to see in this world. While sure, our surroundings are probably things we’ve seen a ton of times and eventually don’t care about, that can also lead us to miss out on magnificent scenes. If someone feels sad, confused, stressed, etc., they may feel an indescribable feeling when looking at these scenes, which could change their mood as they can witness how beautiful our world is. Also, I feel like pictures can really affect a person. This project is going to show pictures of a neighborhood that is filled with life and color and show people what they can witness with their own eyes if they just take a few seconds to admire their surroundings. My pictures will be taken in Manhattan near Times Square. I would like to take these pictures around the afternoon as well as maybe some at night. I really want to take pictures that are filled with people that are expressing joy or any other feeling. Also, I want my pictures to catch colors that just make the scene look beautiful and interesting. A few techniques I would use will be the long and medium shot rule of thirds, leading lines, and frame within a frame.

Link to milanote: https://app.milanote.com/1NJz931RdoUtcC?p=MkAV8m6bfwR

1. rmichals

Embedded in your statement somewhere is that you want to shoot in Times Square. That could be fine but your examples were both empty streets and kind of moody. Your statement mentions joy. If you really want to take pictures of people that are filled with joy go somewhere where people will be having a good time like Coney Island or a street festival. Decide if you want to take photos of people having fun or if you want to take moody pictures of empty streets like your examples.