Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

HW1_Composition

“13th Street and 2nd Avenue” – Suzanne Stein.

This photograph is of a person walking in the streets of New York City. I think the purpose of this photo is to show the feeling of the morning after a long night out in the city. I think the photographer is trying to show the viewer that the journey home can be lonely or full of regret. It contrasts with the feeling that the person in the photo would have felt the night before. The fact it is in black and white also adds to that feeling of loneliness or regret. Black and white give the photo a darker tone than color would. I also think this is the feeling the photographer is going for through the subject themselves, through their missing shoes.

I think the three formal elements that the photographer used were leading lines, diagonal lines, and framing. The lines of the wall and railing surrounding the person all lead towards them. This directs the viewer’s eye to where the photographer wants. Straight to the subject. The use of diagonal lines, also in the walls and rails, shows movement in a way. They are going in the direction of the subject so one would assume that they are walking in that direction, rather than possibly standing. The same walls and rails, as well as the roof of the scaffolding also act as a frame within the picture. They are very close to the subject, but you are also able to see the building in the background. So, they act as a frame and separate the subject from the background. This would also work effectively if there weren’t any buildings in the background, but I think that contrast makes it more noticeable to the viewer. I believe these elements combine effectively to show the message that the photographer is trying to present.

1. rmichals

Good. The perspective lines do create leading lines to the subject and create a sense of space as the figure retreats from us. As you state the missing shoes are the key detail and I am sure what drew Stein to take the photo.