Writing here and there and everywhere

LN Draft-Danielle White

Being an introverted, small, and young student in high school was the most challenging thing for me. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t bad at making friends nor a bad friend. Sometimes, I would just have a hard time finding the right friends. The group of friends I’d spend time with weren’t horrible people but were people I feel like I did not belong with. Sometimes they would have conversations that I wouldn’t even know about because they’d always whisper or talk amongst themselves. Or they’ll think I am to young to understand but I was the same age has them. I guess it was because I did not look like a teenager… However, this is how the conversation would go…

K and S: (Whispering and gossiping about something)

Me: Hey, what are we talking about?

K and S: (Still whispering)

Me: Hey!

K: What?!

Me: What are you guys whispering about and why? We are sitting right next to each other.

S: Your to young to understand.

Me: How?! We are literally the same age. Why are you making it seem like I’m some child who wouldn’t understand what you guys are talking?

K: You don’t even know who we’re talking about.

Me: I don’t even know the topic of the conversation let alone the people your mentioning. Forget this I’m leaving.

S: Why are you leaving? You don’t want to hang out with us?

Me: If I’m not in on the conversation then what’s the point of sitting here?

S: C’mon just sit with us. You don’t need to leave. You’d rather be with someone else then with us?

Me: I don’t know…

In my head: (Why am I dealing with this? I’m only here because I don’t want them to be mad at me for leaving but if I can’t be in the conversation then what’s the point of me sitting here? Sigh… I think I should find better friends. People who make me feel like I’m apart of the group.)

Disclaimer: I didn’t know how to spell my friends names, so I used the first letter of their names.

1. Jamilet

Hi this is Jamilet M. I have read your draft:
    What really jumped out to me was how your friends where talking behind you back due to you height and treating you as a child even if they were the same age as you?
    I really liked the dialogue it helped me picture the scene and setting.The scene I was picturing in my head as reading it and thought that is messed up and question myself were these people your fiends?
    One thing that I want to know is did you stay to be accepted or did you realize these fiends where not the right ones and found another group of friends
    So far I like what you are brainstorming for your education narrative.

2. Jacquelyn Blain

I agree with Jamilet. I think this is a wonderful way to set up the whole essay (and btw I was in the same situation… a whole lot of years ago!). Her suggestions about what you might do next are good. I would also suggest talking about how this kind of treatment affected your educational experience as a whole. Do you think the education system needs to be changed? How and why? What do you think of a system that lets kids get away with this kind of treatment? How did it make you, as a girl, feel about the system? Did it affect what you did or how you did it, either then or as you went through the rest of your schooling? These kinds of experiences really have an impact on us, so now it’s time to talk more about it and what ever else you might be thinking about in terms of their impact on you. BTW, I love the way you did the dialogue!

3. Jacquelyn Blain