Wednesday, August 26. Welcome to the class! We’re on Collaborate Ultra today only.
10-11:40 class session. Welcome! Introductions, joining OpenLab and Slack, creating your first post, tasks for the first week.
To do ahead of time if you want: In the Announcements section, watch the Welcome video and then join OpenLab (and nose around our course site): https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/blaineng1101regularfa2020/
Due by end of day Sunday, 8/29:
First, the housekeeping things:
- Join OpenLab (you can’t do the homework unless you do!)
- Send your preferred email address to Prof Blain (DBlain@citytech.cuny.edu) for your Slack invitation. Remember: nobody else will see it but me.
- Complete the technology survey at the bottom of the Announcements page.
- Go to the Google Drive, find the Syllabus, and annotate – be kind but ask questions, tell me if something doesn’t make sense, make suggestions…
Second, the real homework:
- READ: these two “Tips” pieces
- “Tips for Online Learning Success” https://www.nhcc.edu/student-resources/online-learning-d2l/tips-for-online-learning-success
- “Online Discussions: Tips for Students” https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/teaching-resources/teaching-tips/developing-assignments/blended-learning/online-discussions-tip-students
- Also do these two things:
- WRITE: Create a new post (there’s a “How To” video in the Resources section if you need help).
- Start with one word that describes how you’re feeling about this course as we get started. No need to explain, but you can if you want to.
- Talk about your worries, concerns, reactions to the readings and/or to being an online student… whatever you want to. No censoring… except keep it kind of clean, please ;-).
- And add a picture that means something to you, and explain why you chose it — why does it mean something to you?
- AND and… tell us a little about the story of your name. Who gave it to you? Is it a family name? Part of your culture? Do people treat you differently because of it? Are you proud of it or do you wish it was something else?
- CHECK BACK IN and see what other people are saying, and reply to a couple of people. It’s nice to know we’re not alone!
The Category you’ll be using is Intro-One.
Monday, August 30. We’re on Zoom!
10-11:40 class session. How’s everyone doing? Go over the annotated syllabus. Talk about writing.
Due by end of day Wednesday, 9/2:
MAKE: A message to your end-of-the-semester self. In this time capsule, I want you to send a message to your end-of-the semester self about your goals, your hopes for the year, and maybe some pitfalls you feel you might be up against. Please also think about how writing will help you achieve your future goals– not just for the end of the semester, but beyond.
One catch: it can’t be just writing– there have to be some images or sounds in there! Whatever you think will help us get to know you and your experiences better. You can even make a video. Or record an audio file and link to it. Or draw something and upload the image. Whatever you want. Remember: we’re all about composing in the 21st century, so feel free to do what you think would be interesting for us to see/hear/learn about.
The Category you’ll be using is Intro-Two.
You can print this page using the Print this Page button below.Print this page