Writing here and there and everywhere

Esther Michnik

Hi! My name is Esther. I’m not sure how to describe how I feel because it is a huge mix of a lot of emotions. None of them seem to outshine the other so I will just list two: excited and nervous. I dealt with a lot of mental health problems stemming from school work and I’m nervous that this will just be another round of mental chaos, but my mentality seemed to have also changed about school which is where the excitement comes in. I am excited to challenge myself, experience a new environment, and a new style of learning.

At first I didn’t know what to think about online learning. There are parts of it that seem beneficial such as not having to travel far or do much work to get to class, but I am a person that has a lot of trouble focusing and staying on task and my desk at home seemed like the perfect place to sit and do anything but listen to a lesson. Upon now having a few lectures in it doesn’t seem as distracting as I thought I would be. Honestly the most upsetting thing for me is just that I am a people person and there aren’t other people in my room to interact with. I’ve also never even been in the college I’m literally enrolled in which creates a sort of disconnect.

This was a picture I used for a flyer for the girls wrestling team. As a girl that was on the team for me this photo represents strength. Being a part of sports team and watching myself get better was a huge confidence boost and some of the lessons I learned on the matt can be applied in my regular life.

My name is Esther Michnik, my last name doesn’t have a deeper meaning as far as I know. My first name was given to me by my dad he had a great aunt named Esther and I am told I have some similarities with her personality wise however it’s not a huge discussion in my family. My parents mostly chose it because they liked it. I am Jewish and the names Esther is in a story about a Persian queen that apparently saved all the jews. I know more details about it because anytime I meet an older or just adult jewish person they always tell me the story but I don’t feel like explaining it. I don’t feel very connected to the story but its fun when its brought up at a particular holiday. I’m told its my day.

1. Jacquelyn Blain

What a great image! I love those kinds of black-and-white pictures because they really make you focus on the idea and not just the people. And I have to tell you… you would laugh if you saw my desk! Perfect place to play PC video games, if you ask me :-).

One thing about connection in an online class… Check out what people are saying and then see if you can connect with them in your Comments and/or on Slack. We’ll also be doing some things in the Zoom class sessions as well as on the Google Doc drafts of your main assignments, so please feel free to reach out to people — I’ll bet if you ask that there are a LOT of people who feel the same way!

• Esther Michnik

omg I didn’t realize this posted I wasn’t done. Thank you for the response but I don’t know what to do now because I just finished it.