Fareez Mohammed: How Evil was Commodus?

The Bust of Commodus As Hercules is a sculpture that showcases Commodus strive for power. Commodus was a Roman Emperor who took part in the gladiatorial games in Roman. In this sculpture, Commodus has a loin pelt draped over his head and shoulder symbolizing power. In his right hand, he is holding a wooden stick that looks like a baton and in his left hand, he is holding an apple. Commodus muscular arms is another representation of power and stature. Commodus thinks he is the true Hercules and believes he is one of the strongest heroes in Greek. Commodus is a malicious person because of all the wicked deeds he committed. For example, he killed many of his people for his amusement. He was a powerful ruler and wanted people to worship him like a God. Commodus was an emperor that sought power and respect. I believe that Commodus is an egotistical person because he is cocky and full of himself. He sought power by degrading his people. I believe a true hero is a person who cares for his subjects and does not demand their devotion to make themselves feel validated. After learning the history of this sculpture I now see it as a symbol of oppression.