ARTH1103 Intro Art History F2019

active 3 days, 23 hours ago
ARTH1103 Intro Art History F2019
Humanities
ARTH1103

An introduction to art and architecture from ancient to modern times. The art of Western and Eastern cultures is considered.

Additional description for this section:
This course is designed to get you thinking about art. What is art? How is art produced? What is the function of art? Art is a record of culture and civilization, often it is the sole way we can understand what was meaningful to people separated from us by time, language and technology. Art also helps us understand our own time and culture. This course connects art to past histories, and introduces students to the visual language of art from ancient to modern times, in order to increase the recognition and understanding of references in advertisements and posters, on clothing, and in film and other media. The course introduces a wide variety of methodologies and topics of current debate in the field of art history, including: style, technique, patronage, iconography (subject matter), social context, race, and gender.

The course avatar is a watercolor by Albrecht Durer, The Little Owl, 1506 in the Albertina Museum, Vienna

This course may be cloned by logged-in faculty.

Fareez Mohammed Hw #4: Is It Time to Take Down the Mona Lisa?

I disagree with the article because I believe the Mona Lisa should still be available for people […] See MoreFareez Mohammed Hw #4: Is It Time to Take Down the Mona Lisa?

What's on your Thanksgiving Plate?

So just like very year we were invited to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving as she invited about 30 […] See MoreWhat's on your Thanksgiving Plate?

Garnet Garcia - HW3: What’s On Your Thanksgiving Plate?

This was the first time I made brownies for Thanksgiving!! It was really fun and my little […] See MoreGarnet Garcia - HW3: What’s On Your Thanksgiving Plate?

Although a piece of history has been forever destroyed, there can be a way to replicate the […] See More

Exhibits to Check Out

Cy Twombly MoMA http://moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1187 Twombly died last week in Rome, you can check out his sculptural work at MoMA. See MoreExhibits to Check Out