Journal entry #4

It is my second official day on the job from home of course; remember I mentioned the office is under construction due to renovations. So Scott sends me an email with several artist names in the body of the email, he tells me to create promotional cards similar but not the same as the examples attached in the email. From the looks of the previous work, they do not seem difficult, so I started the first one right away. Quickly after starting, I realized he did not include any direction. So I figured I would just read the selected photographers’ online profiles to get a feel for their styles and personality. Usually, you can pick up on a sense of who someone is by his/her work or, at least, this is the way I was conditioned, so after skimming through the work of an artist that Scott selected. I would choose the photos I felt worked best together and import them into Adobe’s Photoshop. I begin by resizing and arranging the photos until I find that perfect harmony that creates a visually stunning promotional card. In all honesty, this was my first time putting together a collage, and it was harder than I had initially presumed. After finishing up and exporting as a Jpeg, I would place all the cards in an email and send it to Scott. After submitting the work, it was time to wait for feedback. Scott replied and just as I anticipated, of course, changes would be needed. I knew this would happen not because I lacked confidence in my work but because of the little to no direction that was giving. Scott wanted the promotional cards to be smaller; he also mentioned how he liked a font that I used for one of the artist names, and he wanted that to be the same on every card. There were also changes to make to some of the photos I selected so that he would say use photos from the fashion accessory section for this artist; this is the kind of direction Scott should have given in the beginning. Either way, I made the corrections, and he was pleased with the revised versions.