Read and React 2

There are always situations that come up in the hospitality field, and as members of this industry we see and possibly even take part in the action to respond and recover. There are situations that we can control and there are those we cannot control such as disasters both natural and manmade

The article “The Storms of Summer:  lessons learned in the aftermath of the hurricanes ‘04” gave insight in to how Walt Disney World Resort handled some natural disasters by keeping their guests and employees safe while also keeping them calm and entertained to the best of their ability.  Working in a resort definitely puts the importance of being ready for all situations in perspective. Although it is important to have plans in place throughout Walt Disney World it is especially important to have them in the resorts. The parks can close however the guests stay in our resorts 24/7 and we need to be ready for anything.  

This article was very informative and gave me more information than I knew on the different plans that WDW has and how we as cast members can provide the best service for guests. Although I have not been trained in regards to emergency situations this article has provided to be informational for me as a current cast member and as a future manager in hospitality. Like author Barbara A Higgins said “Emergency Preparedness is a topic that cannot be overemphasized”. I completely agree with her and think that working in the hospitality industry, especially hotels we need to always have a plan and be prepared.

This entry was posted in Read and React 2. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Read and React 2

1. Since you have not been specifically trained in how to handle an emergency you might want to provide a copy of Higgins’ article to your leaders. Ask them about the key points in the article and how they are executed in your workplace. I am sure they will be impressed with the fact that you are thinking about emergency situations in such a critical way.