On My Own – Week 2

I had just completed my training and passed my assessment and my next work day, two days later, I was officially on my own. I was thankful my trainer wasn’t there only because I didn’t want her still breathing down my shoulder and calling it “help.” I thought I would be an equal now, only asking for help when need be. The second day some of the people I worked with when training was there and upon my immediate arrival one says to me take off you i.d. or put it under your vest and I immediately felt annoyed. I knew very well I still had on my i.d. and I knew when I was going up the stairs and what MY steps were going to be before I went up the stairs or into the restaurant and I felt like a child being reprimanded. It became obvious at that point that they still thought of me as the one who doesn’t know anything. It was a sense of power for the non CPs to have over the newcomers and whether they thought they were helpful or not I didn’t ask for it.

I get my assignment and get upstairs to work and the next person who works full time and was there with me when I was training decides to tell me what I should be doing at the moment because I was helping to seat instead of set tables. The restaurant had just opened – what exactly do you want me to set? didn’t even smile at this point I just told her I know that I had the job yesterday, there are no tables to set, and I check frequently. It was getting frustrating how they want to tell me what I should or should not be doing. They of all people should know that your first job is always a seater especially if your side task does not require your services at the moment. Teamwork not nag work.

I had a part timer who I just met that day and quite frankly is not friendly to me at all even though I smile at her all the time come and have me look like an idiot as I was trying to find a guest’s reservation that wasn’t in the computer. The guest kept asking me if I need the reservation number which I didn’t I needed the last name and the co worker comes up behind me as I’m looking and overrides all I had told the guest by asking for her reservation number to look her up in quickbook. Well great we found her in quickbook but now what? So I turn to her because now I’m lost and wasting valuable time and ask her so now what do you want me to do with it? And she says put in the information as a walk in but type in the reservation time before their name. I was so irate at that point. She had me waste time looking for them in quickbook where the information is NOT transferable to TMS when all along I had planned to do what she told me to do in the end which was right them in as a walk in and just notify the assignor they’re really a reservation that TMS did not have saved. So I took the guest’s information with a smile but I had nothing but harsh thoughts towards my “co-worker” who, a)  just made me look incompetent in front of the guest and b) wasting my time doing things that didn’t help to the end resolution at all.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to On My Own – Week 2

1. It is not a good thing to feel frustrated so early in your work experience. Remember that the full time people see a lot of CPs come and go and not all CPs have the greatest work ethic. This is your time to show your coworkers that you are dedicated and that you are bright and that you are ready to hadle the challenges associated with guest service.

Take a moment to think about their actions and not froma personal point of view (I must say this will not be easy). Why do you think they assumed a new employee would not be prepared to address the tasks at hand? Why do you think they assumed that you did not know how to manage the reservation system? What did you learn in the first to days after your training ended? What areas of your training do you think prepared you for your position? Which were lacking?

There is so much to think about as you begin a new position. Try to find the beneficial aspects. Lets talk if things do not improve.