Traditions – Read and React #1

The word traditions to me means something that is done the same way every year in order to keep the same standards going. When I first heard the word traditions at Disney I taught “maybe they are going to teach us on how to maintain the Disney spirit that makes the magic happen”. I didn’t expect it to be so long and so repetitive. During traditions they taught us the four keys basics Disney stresses; Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency and how we are to use those keys in action. In addition, they showed us the history of Disney, the Disney point and how people are our guest not our customers. 

The personal benefit that I learned from this training is that I am now more cautious of how I do things. Even with my son who came to visit me I was telling him constantly don’t run, walk you got to be safe. The safety key is always in my mind in everything I do now.  At work I always wear safety gear like gloves or goggles when using chemicals. If I see a spill I put a wet floor sign right away. If someone is caring something heavy I get them a cart. I look for my self as well for others my peers and guest.

The show key has taught me that your appearance matters. Especially in Disney where if you are missing your name tag its a big deal . You have to always look approachable and presentable at all times. I always try to wear a clean costume every week to always be show ready. If for some reason I miss place my name tag I immediately go to costuming and borrow one the famous “CHRIS” from Orlando name tag.

The efficiency key has taught me that just by helping a guest carry their tray you are being efficient. If they need a refill and one goes get it for them without them asking you are being efficient. Going above and beyond will always make you efficient.

Last, but not least the courtesy key is the one I love, I love being nice to people and greeting them all day long. Its so easy and freely to be super friendly in Disney what might be considered somewhere else as cheesy. At work I greet guest as I come in. When I’m busing tables I have small talks with them ask them where they are from, what rides they been on, what parks have they visited and share ideas with them of the things they can do in Disney. Guest may say that Disney has the friendliest employees, but I believe we have the greatest Guest.

My first day of training in the Polynesian Resort in comparison to the article “Create company loyalty with new-hire practices” by Tasha Freidlein was similar to how HVS Hotel Management does with their new hire-es. The same as them I was put to watch company videos and had online training. I was given handbooks with my job description and tips on how to do my job promptly and efficiently. They gave me a schedule with what I was going to be doing in the next couple of days. They mentioned how you can grow in the company and how they always have different positions to get you a step further. They gave me a tour of the property both in the Polynesian Resort and Epcot. At the end of my 30 days at they Polynesian Resort I met with my manager to do an evaluation on how I was feeling about the job. They also took a picture of me accompanied by facts about me and posted it on a bulletin board where they put pictures of all new cast members. This kind of training demonstrates how serious a company is about their image. I can say this has been one of the longest training I have ever had and that I will never forget.

This entry was posted in Read and React 1. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Traditions – Read and React #1

1. Huihong He says:

It’s glad to hear that your son came to visit you. I tried to request for the day off, but i got denied. Did you do the request day off online or just talked to your manager?

2. nschloss says:

This is great how you are able to show the Four keys. The four keys I have to say will be part of lives forever. I found myself smiling a lot since I have been here.

3. You express all the values well.