Journal #3

After I became an official cast member, it was time for me to finally visit my resort location and begin the at work training. I was excited. I had never heard or been to Art of Animation Resort, and I was ready to make it my home for the next 5 months.

Again, I woke up early, this time I was on my own and I had to figure out this transportation myself. I got on the “G” bus and headed to the cast services building for my second day of paid “work”. We all awkwardly gathered into a room and waited for our instructor. Next thing I knew this awesome creature appeared. Her name was Amy and she was our facilitator and she was the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. She was hilarious, she loved her job, she loved Disney, she loved Walt Disney himself, and she definitely loved Art of Animation. She was one of those people who are naturally exciting and make you excited just with their presence. I went from nervous to amused sooner than I knew. This class was to review safety, review our menu, and introduce us to the resort. I had my name tag on, I was “earning my ears” and I was excited. As we ran though safety and menu familiarity, we began our property tour. Amy’s knowledge in DAAR (Disney’s Art Of Animation Resort) was extensive and impressive. Everywhere we walked, she shouted facts and need-to-knows about the property, it was fun.

She gave us our first week’s work schedules and I was given the night shift. My worst nightmare, it was 4:30-1am but I enjoyed it. I realized that I should always appreciate mornings when you don’t have the opportunity to enjoy the day and you’re stuck up til 4am trying to sleep.

I began my first week and I was so nervous, everyone seemed to know everything and I had barely any understanding of the menu and its over 200 options. It was insane. It was overwhelming, it was busy. The place had 97% occupancy with over 2,000 guests in the dining room per day!

photo2a

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Journal #3

1. Idaliz De Leon says:

Hello Matthew,

It is very exciting reading about your first couple of days of work/training. I am enjoying comparing it to my experience and I notice the biggest thing in common is how passionate the leaders and facilitators are! It seems to me that most of the leaders genuinely enjoy working for Disney and are eager to spread their wealth of knowledge. The collective enthusiasm that is felt here also translates into how we feel and approach our jobs and how much effort we put into it. When one is excited about where they are at and what they represent it makes the most mundane tasks worthwhile and encourages you to always do better and put your best foot forward! I know that this energy has helped my work days more exciting as well and I look forward to going to work everyday as a result of it.

2. Trainers must provide a great amount of energy and passion. This time of training sets the tone of the location and the level of service that should be accomplished. Trainers need to be more than just technically competent, they need to be inspirational as well. It seems you both had vibrant trainers.

Matthew, you are in a busy location and even during the time you are earning your ears guests expect the most of your service. I hope learning the menu became easier and that you were provided with the proper tools to learn what is needed.

With the number of guests you described this location will require your dedication and attention to detail.