The Alfa Unit – Week 9

Usually when a guest gets hurt or tells you they are not feeling well, your first instinct is to send them to first aid but what do you do if they can’t get there? I had a guest came up to me today asking for help because his wife is not feeling well. I asked if he knows what is wrong with his wife but all he told me was that she is throwing up a lot inside the bathroom and asked his daughter to take me to his wife. When I got in the bathroom, the lady said she feels very light headed and her body feels weak. I wasn’t sure if I should call 911 for her and I didn’t want to make the problem bigger then it was. After calming down, I decided to give my coordinator a call to double check on what I should do. My coordinator had rushed to me and asked me to take down the husband’s information while she calls the Alfa Unit.

From the process of trying to help this lady, I had learned many new things. I didn’t know that if a guest was in too much pain to move that we call an Alfa Unit. My coordinator also taught me the information that was needed from the guest so I would know for the next time. While we waited for the Alfa Unit, I helped to clear the bathroom and to redirect all guests that need the bathroom to a different location. It wasn’t long before the Alfa Unit arrived. We prepared a wheelchair for the guest in case she would need it and after the Alfa Unit was done, I was sent back to my position. The best part of this experience was the guest service fanatic I got from assisting the guest and coordinator. If I ever run into another guests with a similar situation I will be prepared with the knowledge I’ve gained this time.

Mei Ling Lin
Epcot – Future World East Attractions
Spaceship Earth

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Alfa Unit – Week 9

1. Great job helping the guest and your leader. Emergency situations are never easy but you seemed to handle it well.

That said, I am shocked that you were never trained on this prior to an emergency actually occurring. Emergency situations can often require a quick decision and ALL cast members should be made aware of the options they have in solving the emergency. Even if the only option available is to call the leader on duty at the moment.

I am happy that your leader recognized your efforts.