Reflective journal #2

During my second week, I was trained to work the morning shift’s. Before i was trained to work the podium, they trained me to work in the heart of the house, the kitchen. This was the first and last time i was able to try the breakfast we sell to the guest. We provide a buffet and a al la carte menu for breakfast. I was able to shadow John who was working in the buffet station. I really enjoyed working in the buffet station. It was simple to me because i have worked in a catering hall which our buffet station was bigger and the trip to the kicthen was further away. Before i started to open the buffet station chef allan gave me a run down of what we serve and what allergens would be in each item. Even though i was in the back of the house i was still interacting with the guest because if they had certains or questions about the items on the buffet station i was able to explain it, and if i didnt know i found out for them. I really enjoyed working in the heart of the house and my manager noticed it, however, she told me i can’t work in the heart of the house because its only for the culinary program. However, if they ever needed anyone to work there i told chef alan i will keep my uniform in my locker if the time arises.

The rest of the week, i shadowed rita who taught me how to open the podium and the side work that needs to be done. I also learned how to assign the tables by using the table management system and the rotation for the servers so everyone has about the same amount of guest count. I am learning slowy but as i observed them assigning the tables, it helps me understand it more so when the time comes for me to assign i will be able to do it right.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Reflective journal #2

1. I feel the best training programs provide the new member to the team an opportunity to understand how the entire operation works. Your training seems to have been effective because it allowed you to embrace the areas of the operation that you will have an impact on even though you will not directly influence food production. The knowledge you have developed will lead to greater guest satisfaction.

Was there an area/aspect of the training that you found to be less than satisfactory?