The following message is from Marvin Bennett, City Tech’s AMP Coordinator:
Good Afternoon Students and Faculty of New York City College of Technology!
This email is to notify you that the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) is now accepting student applications for Fall 2017. Please find the link below:
The deadline to apply is August 17, 2017. Please fill out your application as soon as possible!
About the LSAMP program
The LSAMP program was created in November 1992 with the goal of increasing the numbers of under-represented minority students graduating with graduate degrees in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). The ultimate goal of the program is to have these students enter the science workforce and increase its diversity.
The LSAMP program provides support to you the student and to your mentor while you are in the program. Students are typically accepted to the program for one academic year in the spring or in the fall. This means if a student is admitted in the spring then they continue to work with us to following fall and vice versa. Students who are in the program receive financial support in the form of a stipend and professional support in the form of workshops, international research experience opportunities and trips to state and national research opportunities. Stipends depend on the number of credits that a student has accumulated before they apply to the program and can range from $1000 to $5000 per academic year. Mentors are able to get up to $250 in equipment/reagent purchases reimbursed by the program.
To be eligible for the LSAMP program students must meet the following criteria:
- Must be interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- Must have a GPA that is greater than 2.8.
- Must be taking 12 credits or more at the time of application.
- Must major in or plan to major in a STEM major. Including: Biomedical Informatics, Chemical Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Computer Engineering Technology, Computer Information Systems, Computer Systems Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering Technology, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Applied Mathematics and Physics.
- Must be a member of an educational minority group including: African American/Black, Alaskan Native, Native American, Hispanic, Native Pacific Islander.
How to Apply
The LSAMP program accepts applications from new students on a rolling basis in the Spring and the Fall. The deadlines for the application are typically at the end of the semester before: this means that the deadline for Spring will be in December and the deadline for Fall in August.
Before applying to the program prospective students must identify a faculty mentor doing research at New York City College of Technology or at another CUNY campus and have the mentor agree to supervise the student.
Once the mentor has agreed to work with the student then the team must develop a project and create a project title and an abstract or project overview.
Next the student can then apply online using the attached link. Follow the link to the LSAMP page and click on the ‘Sign Up’ button to create a new account (‘Sign in’ if you already have an account). Next, click on the ‘View Scholarships’ link. Then click on the ‘+Apply’ button and begin the application process.
NYCCT AMP Coordinator
P616, Thurs. 9am-5pm
V806 Weds. 9am-5pm