Typography as a Radical Act in an Industry Ever-dominated by White Men by Silas Munro, Eye on Design, 2019

Prompts:

• What stood out to you the most in this reading?
  • How do we change the commercial design field to include a diversity of voices and visions?
  • What will the commercial design field and the study of design history look like in 20 years?

Response:

This reading, undoubtedly, made me aware that racial issues and discrimination also exist in the design industry. I think the most shocking thing was knowing that the creation of new typefaces by people of color was a social, political, and racial movement that would change the industry forever. On the one hand, I think the fact of having opposed what had already been created is outstanding and very brave, and building something new from scratch with its own identity where more people of color could feel identified. Also, the fact that this idea broke barriers and spread to other cultures and races.

I believe that to increase cultural and racial diversity within the industry, racial concepts, and stereotypes must be left behind. It is the most complicated thing within a social parameter in a country like this. A hard task but one that would bear great fruit. I also think that looking at how other countries, especially European ones, have managed to put aside this racial competition and achieve an alliance between people from different countries and races.

Complicated to know what the world of commercial design will be like in 20 years. But, I hope that until that happens, more designers of other races can grow within the industry, I hope that we have more opportunities to be known and that our talent is more relevant than where we are from.