Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | SPRING 2023

Reading Response 2 (CC) p: 19-31

1. What political events were happening during the time and place that these manifestos were written?
  1. How did those events influence the authors’ beliefs?
  1. Consider if and how these manifestos addressed the concepts of authorship/ownership, universal systems of communication, and social/political engagement.
  1. Which elements of these texts remain relevant for the present, and which elements are problematic? 
  1. How has the communication process changed since the early 20th Century, specifically with regard to technology?

The political events that were happening during the time and place that these manifestos were written were WWI and the Soviet revolution. These major events influence the authors beliefs. So much so that they produced manifestos that demonstrate their true emotions.  As in the “Manifesto of Futurism you can see it in the writing, that the artist supported the war.  The artist was glorying the war, encouraging the the destruction though new technology by being able to print these messages instead of taking to the ink bucket and paper.  Being able to spreed his support to social/political engagement further and fast encouraging the futuristic changes to come as a designer. 

With today’s society and new generation there is more value in physical and material comfort opposed to spiritual values, but the way we receive these suggestions and notion is mainly digitally. Which is why the present is considered dematerialization.There are so many changes in mass communication, that we lessen the need of materials and increase the audience we are reaching.  Putting out ideas to further their agenda without taking authorship, avoiding the backlash.  I feel that one of the biggest issue with todays communication process is ownership.  With all the available technology that we have we don’t actually have to take ownership for what we put out online.  As designer we have to take social responsibility for the creations we produce.  We take pride in our work and want to be know for it. Making magic where it once was a dull and repetitive routine evolving with the technology bring it to visual poetry.  

1. Jenna Spevack

Good work, Chantel! I left a few notes on your post using Hypothesis in our Hypothesis group. Enable the extension and login to view in this post. I’m not seeing your three annotations here at the bottom of your post. Your annotations should be links back to your annotations added our Hypothesis group. Check out the example post, the guidelines, and getting started with Hypothesis for more details. Let me know if you have questions!

2. Jenna Spevack

Ah, yes, I see! Figured that out after I commented. Nice. 🙂