Odessa Steward

1. I took this picture in my neighborhood; this is the street I live on.
  2. The person being commemorated in this picture is a woman that lived in my building. Her name is Odessa Steward. She is was known for all the things she has done for everyone in the neighborhood. This isn’t the safest area, yet she always organized meetings on how we can work together to make the area better so we can all feels safer, such as the “Neighborhood Watch” where groups of people would volunteer to sit on a desk in the lobby of each of the buildings until a certain time. Of course that didn’t last long because not that many people volunteered, but she also organized Halloween and Christmas parties and used to put up decorations and lights. She always tried to keep everyone in the neighborhood together. 103rd street, the street she lived on, was renamed in honor of Odessa Steward.
  3. This Street event happened 5 years ago and I still remember that day like it was yesterday. I was on my way home from school and i was so happy to see this. This women had a beautiful heart and she will always be remembered.