Yuen Mai Wong – Blog #11

The last time, I shared how foods can make our lives healthier and last longer. This time, I would like to share about “Tai Chi,” that it too can make our lives healthier and last longer.

Tai Chi can help to improve balance and stability in older people and in those with Parkinson’s disease. It also reduces back pain and pain in the knee (osteoarthritis). It also can improve the quality of life in people with heart disease, cancer, and other chronic illnesses.

An analysis from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, from seven small and moderately-sized clinical studies, concluded that a twelve week course of tai chi reduced pain and improved function in people with these condition.

The NCCIH is supported research suggests that practicing Tai chi may help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, and can also improve mood and self-esteem.

I myself have had a pain in my knee and had to do physical therapy. My friends suggested me to buy a supplement that has glucosamine chondroitin. However, both have not worked for me. Therefore, I try to find some videos from YouTube about Tai chi. Whenever I have time, I will open the tai chi videos and follow them to do the exercises.

No matter if it can cure the pain in my knee or not, I think it is good to do exercise every day. Regular physical exercise can give you a healthier life. Therefore, everyone should do exercise no matter what kind of exercise you are doing. Sometime, I am lazy to do exercise and think I should not have any excuse.