homework#8- joey

Videos like a fairy tale use was great way to explain copy right laws.  The video is fun to watch but at times was difficult to listen, being that every word was read by different characters voices.  The video talked about that when something is copy righted we couldnt use it for our own benefit.  In the case they used disney characters to show how every movie made was copy righted and others couldnt use it to enhance or rewrite like walt disney did for most of his movies.  Something can be copy righted to death, then 70 years after.  This has become a huge problem in our culture,  this stops many new artist to be limited and not use the art that inspire them.  The law was to maintain money for the owner when in reality most used copy righted work except back then things would stop being copy righted after 25 years.  People need to realize that being greedy is affecting new artist and making it very difficult on them.

3 responses to “homework#8- joey

1. ree with this post and believe that the copyright laws are destroying art. People base their ideas based on other people’s ideas and because Walt Disney has taken this rule to extreme lengths, it has to account for everyone. I feel like the original rule, that you can copyright something for only 15 years, seemed a lot more reasonable. Even 25 years if they want to extend it, but it should automatically end if someone is dead. Continuing copyright after someone dies is unfair use to others because they are making money off of a dead person’s ideas. Walt Disney’s company is the perfect example of greed.

2. Well on Saturday, I was watching 20th Century Fox’s animated film Robots with my daughter. I was in the kitchen when my daughter put the movie into the DVD player and the sound system was on as well, she said, “Mommy that’s not Robots, that is the fighting movie…” when I checked the DVD it in fact was Robots, however I took the movie out to make sure she put the correct movie in and it was. I played the movie again and noticed that it was a preview of the copy right policy… It basically looked like an action movie with someone stealing a purse, but on screen it said, “You wouldn’t steal a purse, you wouldn’t steal a cell phone or you wouldn’t steal a DVD. Buying pirated movies is stealing…” that was the first time I saw that preview and I thought that the content was complete not for children’s eyes. It would have been okay if there was an animated preview or something that is not that intense. I am going to bring in the DVD maybe the prof can play it in class.

3. Sabrina, I’ll try harder to make time to view this on Wednesday if you’d be so kind as to bring the DVD to class again. So sorry we missed the chance today!
    ~Prof. L.