Citing and credibility- Miguel Olivares

The articles made some good points about citations. I believe that citations are more important to me now than ever before because it subconsciously validates what the author is saying in my mind. I think it establishes a sense of trust which allows you to take in the information without having second thoughts about what you are reading. The citing of sources also gives the reader more options to help answer any question that they have after reading the main article or paper. No need to scroll through Google results for ten minutes from you have work cited right there in front of you that you can refer to.

2 responses to “Citing and credibility- Miguel Olivares

1. I can agree with you because it does validate, what the author states. It does also help answer any questions you may have after reading it. But what if what your reading is not cited, but it is a really good journal/article. Would you search for a citing from where the source actually came from, so it can validated and used, or would you not use the source at all. Me personally i would look for the source if it will provide me great information, i could use in/for my works. But if the source is already cited there’s no need to look for it.

2. I agree with you, the article does make good points about citations. I never pay attention to citation before. After reading the article I realize the importance of citation. It is beyond giving the authors credit for their work. Citations also give the reader a greater insight from where and whom the information was obtained. As you mentioned, the reader can easily go online and research the author. They can check the authors’ creditability. The reader can track the authors’ information and find the original source. Readers can find other pieces of work the authors have done in the his field of expertise.