For this Team Project our group which comprised of Me(Henry), Jonathan, and Christopher had to design and plan the play A Bandaged Place by Harrison David Rivers. Before our first meeting our class had to discuss the Bandaged Place and find the key elements of the stage area such as the walls and the floor.
During our First meeting it was decided that our group would individually work on separate items.
- Me(Henry) would work on the platforms , lighting troupe and masking, Platform cut list and set piece list.
- Jonathan would work on the Work Breakdown structure, load-in plan, labor estimate, calendars.
- Christopher would work on the flats and the tools list needed for the flats.
- As for collaborative documents it was the notes, strike plan and material estimate.
Over the course of this project we did meet in zoom during of hours and during those meeting we were productive in allocating the work as well as communicating on what needs to be done. But email was our main form of communication as it allows us the get in contact really easily. We were able to discuss the material needed for the overall build as well as the type of tools that will be needed.
Since I worked on the platforms this part will focus on the platforms. The main platforms that I did where Step leg platforms as they are commonly used as well as they are easier to design. Because of the length the overall stage it was tougher to find platforms that can fit in the general apace. Stock 4×8 platforms only worked for the majority of the space however after a while it was required to use custom built platforms.
I approached the platforms by working with the dimensions that a 4×8 plywood could work with rather then ordering custom made plywood.
In my drawings below you can see the overall placement of the stock platforms. As well as the custom platforms that were needed for it.
The placement of the platforms changed over the course of the projects one of the main reason the placements changed was because of the platform lab. The platform lab helped me better understand the benefits of the step-legged platform such as installing so that they can open whenever somebody needs to go underneath it. It also helped me understand that not only do I need to take into account the scenic department but also on the other departments that may need to go underneath such it such as lighting and audio. Taking into account other departments helped me understand that for platforms placement does matter.
As the material list was a collaborative effort each of us decided what would work well and what object wouldn’t be cost efficient. For example since I did the materials estimate for the platforms I originally wanted to use 2x10x16 stick of lumber as you can make multiple 2×4 but after seeing the price as well as thinking of the extra steps needed I decided to change it to stock 2x4x16 as it was more cheaper.
What I can apply for future uses is being more communicative towards any future teammates that I may have when I’m working in projects. I will be able to do this by frequently checking in whether its in person or by email to make sure everyone is making progress with their share of the work. Another application that I will be using in the future is using AutoCAD because its a core program that is used for drafting this project allowed me to get faster using the program as well as using more shortcuts. Lastly the last application that I will be using in the future is excel as that is a program that is widely use for documentation. Over the course of this project I felt that I had gained a better understanding of the program.
Henry Cruz Wood Chopping layout Plate 1
HenryCruzPlatformsDesign Plate 4
HenryCruzPlatformsDesign Plate 3
HenryCruzPlatformsDesign Plate 2