My research question: Are Electric Cars as environmental-friendly as they are claimed to be?

This topic matters to me because ever since electric cars became available to people, I started to wonder if these cars are actually environmental friendly. I took this research as an opportunity to satisfy my curiosity, and found out that there are “behind the scenes” factors that contribute heavily to carbon emissions. I think the audience, car consumers, and the general people deserve to know these “behind the scenes” factors because the popular belief is that electric cars have zero carbon emissions. The US today, still relies on traditional coal and fossil burning as means of electricity generation. This releases a significant amount of carbon into the atmosphere. Therefore, switching to electric cars will increase the electricity usage dramatically, which means more electricity would need to be generated. To do so, more coals and fossils need to be burnt which results in higher carbon emissions. It is all connected! and that’s why it matters. My research isn’t to criticize the claim, but to point out an issue that needs to be addressed. The point behind an electric car is to be environmental friendly, acknowledging the lacking and coming up with a solution will only lead electric cars to serve at its full potential.