Both of these lectures were very interesting and refreshing. I personally Never think about language, how much it has  change over time and the way we communicate today so it is very inspiring to read these articles, and stop and think about language. Nowadays, we donā€™t even appreciate the way we communicate as much. We can easily go all day without talking to someone and just texting on the phone or even worse, some people stopped using a pen to write altogether since everything is electronic these days. Every semester for school, I purchase a notebook for each class because I like to write down my notes, when I am studying I put my phone away and write my thoughts. I learn better this way and I enjoy it. These readings really made me think about the evolutions of words, symbols, etc. 

A part that stood out me from Lupton Millerā€™s design writing research is the part about ā€œkeeping scoreā€, the way that symbols or a word can have different meaning. I grew up in a farm, my grandfather didnā€™t go to school and I remember that when he ordered stuff or he needed to write something that was number related. For example, he would make 3parallel lines III and a line across to group them. So fascinating that this symbols meant numbers. 

Also, another example that stood out is the use of the letter X. It could mean different things and we all use it for those things constantly and the majority of people know the meaning for each scenario. Another important point is the use of hands and and how is use by humans to do math and the meaning for the numbers in each culture. This is also something I never thought about, I never knew that I count to 10 with my hands but my feet make up another 10 and how we can use our body to represent numbers. As well as, Signs that we see everyday and guide us to where we need to go or what we need. Symbols are a huge part of design and part of our daily communication and how we move in the world.