COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 2 – Guen Fung

Design in my aspect is the idea of making something from scratch. It can also be making something out of something that already exists. But to be honest, I sometimes feel like design has lost its meaning at times. A big example of this is that something I see, is the fact that people will consume anything popular. Even if something doesn’t have much meaning or have a good direction, it can be marketed. People would just consume the content just because they have their favorite actor. This concept to me is just mind-blowing as there are times they question their decisions to go forward with their design/concept. An example of this would be the banned commercials that have been scrapped and not published on TV. The concept/design is already made before filming, but the meaning of execution would not go well with the brand for example.

In contrast, there are also good designs that fit the mood, the theme, highlighting the band. Logical thinking and concept in design are just something I value over aesthetics. Being able to make a person go “OOH, that is what they mean.” Is better than a person saying it looks nice, but don’t get the meaning behind it. Giving the design its branding is key in my opinion, as this opens up transparency.

The last thing I feel that design should be is the concept of understanding. It shouldn’t have to be in great detail for someone to abstract get the information. We all scroll down our phones or computers, sometimes you past things you go back up to clarify. Often we disregard what we look at, but it’s the subconscious is what the design brings to you. We don’t need to learn a different language to understand the logos of brands. The iconic logo of McDonald’s for example can be in an Irish newspaper. That in itself can lead you to see that it’s most likely about the fast-food chain.

1. Ebony Derrick

I agree completely, design is something that needs originality, something that’s unique, or can be an already existing design interpreted in a different design style.

2. Faye Wang

Hey Guen, I totally agree with your point of view. Many products in today’s society are meaningless, making consumers pay for popularity. Designers are not paying responsible for their products. Designers really needs to reflect-on the bad side of impact that they made.

3. Simon Lei

After reading your response I completely understand the points that you’re making. The one thing that you said that really stuck out to me is when, you spoke about how at times people dont see the meaning behind design. this is absolutely true. Ive noticed that the work or message of ones design can be over shadowed by the media or by those involved.