COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Discussion 11b – Xiaofei Wang

• I was very interested in the illustrator Joan Cornella and his works. He is Spain’s most famous caricaturist.
  • Dark humor and criticism of society are often presented in cartoons which is the most part that attracted me to his works.
  • His works always contain current hot topics, politics and race. It can be said that he is an illustrator or artist who cares about social phenomena.
  • In his works, there are usually only bright colors and figures to show the absurdity of everyday life. I think it’s the same form of expression that we’ve been talking about in the linguistics articles.
  • I think his works belong to surrealism because they are critical in nature.
  • I think I can come up a theory because there are too many things that happens in daily life needs artist to criticize with.

1. Prof. Matthew C. Lange

This is a great start Faye!

As mentioned in the presentation guidelines you should focus on a specific project or aspect of Cornella’s work. This could be work from a particular time period, images dealing with certain topics like Covid, the way he curates his instagram feed, work that focuses on one of his recurring characters, his NFT’s, etc. There are many possibilities.

I would recommend thinking back to the Ellen Lupton and Abbott Miller readings from Week 2, which might help to frame the symbols that this artist uses. You might also think about the Paul Rand reading from Week 10. It seems like Cornella is critiquing or poking fun at the very sincere relationship that Rand would like to see between corporations and the public. Paul Rand wrote many other texts along these lines too.

Hope this is helpful. You should have a lot to talk about!