COMD3504 - Section OL69 - Spring 2022

Nathalie Quito Assignment 1

Armstrong and Munari dedicated their writings to dissecting all aspects of what it means to be designer overall. Armstrong goes in depth with explaining the history of design back then from before post-modernism to modern and now with the advantages of software and technologies. While Munari goes into the meaning of what a designer is in society and how we should respond to what the industry is asking for. Overall, their motive is clear on highlighting the path designers should take a questions we should ask to grow with the time yet also explore the history in order to succeed and stand out from simple art. Challenges such as unoriginality and disinterest can surface as people may overlook the design industry regardless of how expanded it is throughout society. One quote that stood out to me form Armstrongs writing was where she states “design is visible everywhere, yet it is also invisible-unnoticed and unacknowledged.” It is our job to make ourselves as the designer noticeable and given reason to be acknowledged in the art world, and not Armstrong and Munari emphasis how the study of design theory can put us one step ahead of the game to get there.

The first question that came to my mind and the first to be answered was “why theory?” When reading about design, it is meant to stimulate and open our creative process to grow on our own work. When looking back into the history of design, you can see how things have changes in style and popularity and also come back based on cliental needs. Where post-modernism challenged the minimalistic style we eventually fell into and perhaps are now in right now. A question I asked myself when reading on how design has evolved is how can one as a designer follow along, while still coming off as original? Although yes there were styles and an informal rubric to follow to keep up with these changes, can we still produce different interesting work while feeling restricted? But will these restrictions keep us relevant to be considered successful? Another portion that stood out to me was where Armstrong said “graphic designers must take notes and consciously position themselves within the prosumer culture or run the risk fo being creatively sidelined by it.” Is it a risk we’re willing to run?

This connects me to Munari’s point on what it means to be a designer. It is first clarified that we are more than just the ordinary designer who can draw out a picture but has practical reasoning behind it and nothing more. An example of where a design engineer draws something out but simply explains his reasoning of certain choices because of what is cheaper rather than taking into consideration the aesthetics. While a graphic design would find deeper meaning into the reasoning of color and the audience it is targeting for a strong affect overall. A graphic designer overall learns to sue these basic elements to our advantage to express our work and to express the work/job to portray what is needed. It overall shows and leaves a good reputation four our skills in illustrating and differentiates us from superficial works overall.

1. Nathalie Quito

I posted two minutes late SORRY!