Journal entry #1

On the first day of class I was completely late, in fact, I was so late that I missed the entire class. Now this did not happen because of my poor time management skills, but this happened because of a schedule mix up. I kept switching between the sections that were available, and at some point, I printed the wrong program. So I thought my class was for six o’clock, but the class was actually for 2:30 pm to 5 pm. I arrived a quarter before six with a smile believing that I was on time, which is the ideal way to start the first class. Standing outside of a closed door awaiting the professor’s arrival, I noticed nearby were no other students waiting just me. Time was moving rather fast, and it was after 6 pm, so I found the situation strange. I decided to ask someone in the department if they could direct me to the professor or the internship class. That is when I found out the class ended at 5 pm, but the instructor was currently on the 6th-floor teaching, so I made my way downstairs where I saw Professor Mason but interrupting his class would’ve been selfish. So I decided to send him an email explaining the situation. At this point, I figured my best bet was to show up the following week, now that I knew the time. A week later I arrived a little before 2:30 pm and ran into the same problem, which led to frustration since I knew the time and place to be. What I did not know was that the class met every other week. This raised a panic because I did not secure an internship yet and I had no idea how this would affect me. Luckily I got in contact with Professor Mason and met with him during his office hours. I explained my situation about not having an internship, and we discussed a few possibilities. Professor Mason suggested I reach out to Scott Buchheit from ArtWing NY since he is currently looking for a student to fill an unexpected internship vacancy.